Republicans Refuse to Honor Springsteen! GOP Calls Murtha a Coward!
AP - Bruce Springsteen famously was "born in the USA," but he's getting scorned in the U.S. Senate.
An effort by New Jersey's two Democratic senators to honor the veteran rocker was shot down Friday by Republicans who are apparently still miffed a year after the Boss lent his voice to the campaign of Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry.
The chamber's GOP leaders refused to bring up for consideration a resolution, introduced by Sens. Frank Lautenberg and Jon Corzine, that honored Springsteen's long career and the 1975 release of his iconic album, "Born to Run."
No reason was given, said Lautenberg spokesman Alex Formuzis. "Resolutions like this pass all the time in the U.S. Senate, usually by unanimous consent," he said.
Telephone calls to Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist's office seeking comment were not immediately returned.
Two words Senator Frist - "poor form!" Rest assured, Ron Silver and Bruce Willis can now bank on the same treatment in this tit for tat town. In a lot of ways, D.C. is just still a small Southern town. Whites live on one side, poverty stricken blacks in another. Gossip is king with everybody saying one thing and then doing another. Back home in Smalltown, U.S.A. the same guys selling used cars on TV are now selling a used war on C-Span and FOX News, and still lying and over charging just as much.
Next I am just waiting for local honkey tonk style fights to erupt on the House floor and spill out into the parking lot. Congress certainly is feuding these days. Just yesterday, it got pretty tense with an explosion of angry words and personal insults being aimed at Rep. Jack Murtha, a former Marine Corps colonel and decorated war veteran, when a new representative called him a "coward." [Watch in Quicktime] I think the only reason he didn't haul off and hit her was because she was a woman. Semper Fubar!
Also, I miss the hustle and bustle like you find in New York, Chicago or other cities. After rush hour, it gets pretty sleepy down here. And talk about ancient blue laws, supermarkets can't sell beer and wine, it is challenging to find a liquor store open after 9PM or a bar serving much later than 1 AM. Being a hard chargin' and hard working Irishmen, I often desire, one might say require, a snort of Jameson chased with a pint or two to help me unwind after a late night at the office, especially at the end of the week. I woke up today smellin' like Jersey...just kidding, Bruce.
Is this solely an Irish gripe or is having a stiff drink readily available day and night important only to us? Someone emailed me this list of "What it means to be Irish" can anyone else relate?
1) You will never play professional basketball.
2) You swear very well.
3) At least one of your cousins holds political office.
4) You think you sing very well.
5) You have no idea how to make a long story short
6) You are very good at playing a lot of very bad golf.
7) There isn't a huge difference between losing your temper and killing someone..
8) Much of your food was boiled.
9) You have never hit your head on the ceiling.
10) You spent a good portion of your childhood kneeling.
11) You're strangely poetic after a few beers.
12) You're, therefore, poetic a lot.
13) You will be punched for no good reason...a lot.
14) Some punches directed at you are legacies from past generations.
15) Your sister will punch you because your brother punched her.
16) Many of your sisters are Catherine, Elizabeth or Mary....and one is Mary Catherine Elizabeth.
17) Someone in your family is incredibly cheap. It is more than likely you.
18) You may not know the words, but that doesn't stop you from singing.
19) You can't wait for the other guy to stop talking so you can start talking.
20) "Irish Stew" is the euphemism for "boiled leftovers from the fridge."
21) You're not nearly as funny as you think you are, but what you lack in talent, you make up for in frequency. 22) There wasn't a huge difference between your last wake and your last keg party.
23) You are, or know someone, named "Murph".
24) If you don't know Murph, then you know Mac, if you don't know Murph or Mac, then you know Sully, and you'll probably also know Sully McMurphy
25) You are genetically incapable of keeping a secret.
26) Your parents were on a first name basis with everyone at the local emergency room.
27) And last but not least... Being Irish means... your attention span is so short that ... oh, forget it.
I like #25, but first have to work like a terrier to uncover them.
Finally, I am playing nothing but Springsteen on my iPod this weekend. Why is that, Senator Frist? Because he is the Boss, that's why you SOB (sweet old boy)! Wanna fight?
PS: Reach out and touch Sen. Frist - e-mail, fax (202-228-1264) or telephone (202-224-3344).