Nov 19, 2005

Me 4 President..?


Is this the best we can do?

I am flattered by the question Ms. or Mr. "Anonymous" just left in comments. It is not the first time and I am sure not the last that I will be asked this question:

"PJF. How about POTUS 08? Serious."

Let me tell you what I know about politics.

First of all, you have to play well with others, learn how to compromise, and sell your soul to the devils just to raise enough cash to buy the media required to compete. And then start doing it again, the very next day after the election. Not my best qualities nor something I aspire to...

Unless of course, people see me as a firebrand reformer, coming in to clean house and pass real campaign finance reform, create an affordable healthcare system, push for energy efficiency, alternative fuels and renewable energy, give the EPA its balls back and outlaw all special interest groups that ply elected officials with cash. A good start, no? What would you say about a candidate who could not be bought? A candidate who limited his campaign contributions to individuals capped at $100, and just said no thank you to all PAC money and corporate contributions?

Second, I am not affiliated with any party. To run and win as an Independent (which I learned is a political party in itself) is not really feasible, and with no party affiliation a candidate would have about as much chance (think Lyndon LaRouche)as beating Boss Tweed or Mayor Daley in their day, zero to nil.

Realistically, in my job as a U.S. Attorney, I cannot in all good conscience favor or lean to either party at this time. In my experience there are bad apples and crooks on both sides of the aisle, although for the last six years the Grand Old Party has been having one Hell of a non-stop parte' and are only now just getting sloppy enough to be caught.

And now, to answer the question - I won't give you wishy washy answers like Condi Rice does in response to Tim Russert's incessant prodding as to whether or not she is running for POTUS in '08 (FYI, Condi you blew it while shoe shopping in NYC for 3 days during Hurricane Katrina).

Let me just say, yes. Yes!

I have always seen myself as continuing my entire career in public service, possibly culminating in elected or appointed office at the national level. And if any one politician or hard charging U.S. Attorney says to you privately that they don't want to be President, call them a liar to their face.

In '08? Maybe, maybe not, since it depends on so many factors, the first and foremost being that my current commitment and convictions (pun intended) are to bring several people to justice for doing some very bad things. Beyond that I am open to all possibilities.

Let's play a game called short list comprised of who I respect and would be proud to be a running mate with and/or have as a member of the cabinet from both parties:

Jack Murtha, Chuck Hagel, Wes Clark, John McCain, Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, James Lee Witt, Joe Biden, Mark Warner, Colin Powell, Wyche Fowler, Tom Brokaw, John Edwards, Ted Turner, Arianna Huffington, Bill O'Reilly and Donald Trump. Furthermore, I would announce my cabinet in advance of the general election to include someone like Bill Clinton as my Sec. of State! Face it, the whole world loves Bubba, and it is called pragmatism - we have alot of damage control to do worldwide.

Have a good weekend.

Fitz

PS: I was just kidding about Donald Trump. And food for thought, my spoiler would be Elliot Spitzer so we could tag team corporate evil doers into oblivion.

Labels: ,

29 Comments:

Blogger KitNeill said...

Excellent. I second the motion. Sign me up.

5:14 PM  
Blogger Patrick J. Fitzgerald said...

Aw shucks, I am blushing. Kit I just linked to your PJ Button. ;)

5:31 PM  
Blogger Patrick J. Fitzgerald said...

Let me take this compromise thing for a spin on an emotionally charged and divisive issue:

Here is how I feel about abortion -It is a personal decision for women, yet I propose that in your IRS returns that you be given the choice to check either "yes, I earmark $4 of my taxes for federal family planning programs" or "no, thank you have a nice day sinners"

How am I doing?

5:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You for 4 President, Fitz? You will need Bubba to help you in your campaign. We have a lot of cleanup after 2008. I have to compliment of some of your choices for your cabinet at least have experience unlike Bush's administration. By the way, are you going to take 5 week vacation like our current mangler-in chief in office?

6:03 PM  
Blogger Patrick J. Fitzgerald said...

For me a vacation is a good night's rest, 6 hours and I am in heaven. And I READ the newspapers and keep abreast of the news on a daily basis.

I think the future benchmark of a good president is one who stays up past 9:30PM every night.

6:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well PJF.

We've found our man.
Excellent not to be of any party; not be bought, soul sold ..

$100 CAP. DONE.

We're starting today.
Enjoy the ride.

6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will work for free!

6:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PJF: PayPal button for the $100 per cap contribution please. . .

6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pat I sure could use some studly attention and legal advice right now.
Meet me for drinks and I promise you some gentle lady love.

6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will you abolish the Patriot Act? And what about Iraq? Your other platforms are nice, but you might have skipped over a couple biggies ...

I'm all for Eliot Spitzer. Don't forget the Boss!

Rock On,

Willy

7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm telling God on you. Expect a natural disaster any day now.

7:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fitz.
Cannot undo Roe v Wade.

Family planning option? Eh, no.
. Need major reform in state Social Services -- as in, 'how in God's name do you lose someone?'
Reprehensible at best.

Death penalty? yes and absolutely no leniency on priests who prey on children.
.Reprehensible; actually how can you even listen to someone at the pulpit who tells you you've sinned while they've terrorized an innocent child? Lowest of the low.
.We've had a system of 'reform' which cannot point to success.
.Death row? Maximum appeals cap of 2 years; we pay way too much money to have those deadbeats sit on death row {on average >10 years in California? -- that's ridiculous}

a few thoughts top of mind.

7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buddy, stop eating so much red meat.

7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peta. The protein is good for the mind.

That's what we want.

. Immigration? grant illegal aliens status here? absolutely no.
Ship 'em out. We've undercut the minimum wage by allowing our borders to continually bleed. Nail employers who have illegal aliens. Good to see we're starting w/Wal-Mart.

. CDC will need to be in your cabinet; a new era.

.Need medical reform to take care of those who do not pay into the system [illegals]; drain it.
.Massive reform on business tax cuts -- specifically Fortune 100/Pharma.

7:45 PM  
Blogger SamuelAlito said...

Pat:

What are you doing blogging on a Saturday? Take some time off my friend!

Sam

8:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooo! Oo! Oo!

Pick Jon Stewart for something! V-P would be great or he'd make an excellent secretary of state, too.

Wow, Fitzgerald/Stewart '08.

8:08 PM  
Blogger Harriet said...

I think a Fitzgerald-Miers ticket is a real winner!

8:28 PM  
Blogger SpaceCommand said...

Here is a “desiderata.” if you will.

Having some perspective from subscribing to the WCPD, and the Presidential Studies Quarterly, you may want informal position papers, and some depth of the parlance. For one, few people understand the campaign itself raises a government, a narrative field. May you continue governing best through the advice of the people of the United States. Make yourself accessible by reading letters from the people. Whatever the source of the advice, if you haven't seen anything better in any "lately," context think about it and go for it.

The task of becoming President is not necessarily substantially different from being a prosecutor, or a defense attorney. But it differs in matters of repertoire, and rapport. When Truman talks about the "heat in the kitchen," remember he was enduring it, and Presidential power has expanded greatly. That heat is part of a duly noted process, a "bully pulpit."

I salute the idea, while letting you know from direct experience of citizen duties, and studies, the Presidency requires a great deal. In many ways it can be the most profound experience of your life even working with the Presidency. Not all criticism is invalid, but some of it is pure dribble, so know the difference.

Try not to forget that every day that you are earning the powers of the office. You are riding a wave of your own narrative field, so that task makes a great Presidency. Ask for ideas. Not only run when you might do so, think of being great by doing great things, but keep it to yourself and avoid arrogance since such is a tragic flaw. It is all a delicate balance. Besides America does very well with the Irish President.

"With all its sham, drudgery & broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy."

9:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw you in people magizine and on the Chris Matthews show. It was so funny. I could only relate to the music " do you love me do you love me now that I can dance". You made prime time next to sex in the city. As for being President well you know you best. We got tricked into putting Bushie in office. I just can't get the picture of that suit out of my mind. Fitz you need a young lady to help you dress. But I did enjoy watching you on Chris Matthew show and reading your comments your a very nice young man and I am glad americans got to know you.

10:06 PM  
Blogger Harriet said...

Hey, let's get this started!

We can start a "call you're delegate" to "Pick Patrick"!

10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sure, we can have a bachelor president; why not? ... Some of our beloved Presidents have very much acted as if they were in fact bachelors. Upon reflection we very much wished they could have restrained themselves while in office.
Ahem.

Enough for this eve -- I'm out to have a few rounds.

11:13 PM  
Blogger KitNeill said...

Absolutely BlueWild, I'd love to join you as one of the PFJ Flyers!

11:15 PM  
Blogger KitNeill said...

Oops, finger tangled in my excitement
PJF FLYERS.......

11:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, you also got my vote. If McCain decides to run in '08. I could have his people to put in as his running mate.

I use to on his campaign.

I wouldn't mind being your first lady ! LOL

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

join TheBuffaloParty.com

Is Here 4 Us / We The Buffalo People

--------
Get Out Your JAIL ORANGE - JUMP SUIT, Threads, Any Thing Orange

And Bring Your Hand-Cuffs 4 Bu$h Boy, Family & Friends

And GREET - BU$H

the DAY he Returns from CHINA

Dress in ORANGE. 2 WORK, 2 EAT, 2 BED, 2 WALK ABOUT

PS, U Know Buffies, How Great U Look In ORANGE

Thank U,

http://www.TheBuffaloParty.com

2:48 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

I vote for PJF too.

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.whoseflorida.com/voting_machines-a.htm
the truth about hagel

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want George Clooney to run for president. He could win, He thinks on his feet and is on the right side of all the issues, I am working on this and suggest others to join.
rpmangold@ mac .com

5:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grover Cleveland ran as a bachelor president, and he got lots of women voters! He even 'fessed up to fathering an illegitimate child straight out and didn't try to cover it up. He wasn't even sure if the child was really his, though he supported that child without even getting ordered to! Where's that Paypal button? OK, one well educated single mama wants YOU, but keep your eye on the vaccine industry for me OK? Those guys and their sneaky protections and sealed records and thimerersol have this mama going through the ROOF. But before seeking presidency, Sir Lancelot, bring the bad guys to their knees, please. Maureen.

1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home