Sep 2, 2006

Irish Eyes Are Smiling...

cut bait or fish, eh?

Fighting Fitzgerald

Ball is in Clareman's court

By Niall Stanage
The son of an Irish doorman looks set to shake the White House to its foundations this week.

Patrick J. Fitzgerald, whose parents met after immigrating to the United States from Co. Clare, is the special prosecutor in charge of the investigation into CIA agent Valerie Plame's name being leaked.

Fitzgerald is thought likely to bring indictments in the investigation before the grand jury's term expires on Friday, though he could ask for the term to be extended. He could also decide against indicting anyone, though such a move would ignite a political storm.

Fitzgerald's investigation into how the identity of Valerie Plame, an undercover CIA operative, came to be released into the public domain in July of 2003, has already caused massive tremors in Washington, D.C. and beyond.

Judith Miller, a reporter for The New York Times, served 85 days in jail before agreeing to testify in the investigation.

It has been widely reported in the past week that both Karl Rove, President Bush's senior political advisor, and I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, Vice-President Dick Cheney's chief-of-staff, have been told they are in serious legal jeopardy in regards to the case.

There is still enormous uncertainty surrounding the investigation, however. Fitzgerald's office has proven surprisingly "leak-proof" and much remains unknown about who has testified and what they have said.

According to a recent Washington Post profile, Fitzgerald grew up in the Flatbush area of Brooklyn, in New York. He worked as a school janitor in his youth and also toiled alongside his father as a doorman during his summers off from college.

His parents, Patrick Sr. and Tillie, are now deceased.

Fitzgerald attended Amherst College, earning a BA in Economics and Mathematics, before going on to Harvard Law.

He made his name in recent years as the U.S. Attorney in Chicago, where he started the job less then two weeks before Sept. 11, 2001. Since then, he has secured a conviction against Sheik Omar Abdel Rahman for the 1993 World Trade Center bombing and has also extracted a guilty plea from John Gambino in a mafia case.

Niall Stanage has the luck of the Irish and is the first journalist to recall that grand juries are not forever.

"QUESTION: And secondly, if you empanel a second grand jury, is it always 18 months or is it 12 months?

FITZGERALD: I don't know. They vary.

And I'm just -- I'm not going to give you any time frame questions because I'll be as vague as I have been already and just waste time."


Now where did I place that countdown clock...?

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hadn't realized the time was up! No wonder all the commotion about Armitage...silly me, I thought it was just the Nov. elections and plain old fear turning the spinning wheel. Keep charging,Sir Lancelot, in your noble quest for Truth, and good luck to you!

10:50 AM  
Blogger Bubby said...

I am not going to let myself get excited about this. No siree. I have set myself up for disappointment so many times. All those months waiting for Rover to be indicted only to have my hopes dashed. Seeing him walking around looking so smug and back to his old tricks of lying and spinning and hurting people. But I do have faith in Fitz and Company and know they will bring the evil doers to justice in due time. I'm just gonna keep it on the down low.

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh please don't get me excited again.
I am/was so geared-up to see fat karl go to jail.
WE SUPPORT YOU FITZ!!!
Tar Babies United

11:08 AM  
Blogger airJackie said...

If the press did as much digging into the truth of the cover up of the White House in this case as they do reporting your life story this would be over. I'm confused what does your family history have to do with the White House covering up a covert CIA agents name. DC is Hollywood, they should leave the show time to the professional directors.

11:32 AM  
Blogger Patrick J. Fitzgerald said...

LOL, good eye, Roger!

An Irish practical joke, mistake, or thinly veiled reminder of an ongoing grand jury "process" with a finite time limit?

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could be an Irish practical joke, but I'm guessing Fitz here has something up his sleeve to surprise the tom heneghans of this world.....

Based on the recent tone of public statements.....I'm probably close to the goalpost on that one.

It ain't the media thats for sure.

12:08 PM  
Blogger Suzie-Q (S-Q) said...

So, that was an old article from 2005...hmmm...

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.rawstory.com/news/2006/
Opium_harvest_soars_to_record_level
_0902.html

Do you think pictures from the taken from the air of burned "crops" might look the same as the already harvested fields? Ask a midwestern farmer why they burn their harvested fields off.

Fool me once, fool me twice...what was he mumbled again?

12:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sure anonymous, and while we're at it why don't we start believing that the evil jews are aliens too??

Why not?

If they can say it, anyone can right?

Yep all the khazar fruitcake nuts of the world are aliens, and their crafts are still found in places like british columbia donchaknow...

1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's true. We grow our own opium and hashish locally, but always import the good shit from America's heartland. Omaha Ooo La La and Wichata White Man's Wowie are our favorites.

1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this morning's posts.

Charge, Extend,or Dismiss?

A month ago I was moping around thinking you would dismiss. Oh me of little faith.

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought Fitz moved on to use an already sitting jury. I thought empaneling one was a process that was different, and would have been in the news.

IF he used an already sitting one, it's time could run out any day now. Couldn't it?

4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey osama--how is the kidney?, I think you missed the point. Midwest farmers damn sure aren't growing drugs, but they do combine before they burn the stubble or left-over shaft to prepare the fields for the next food crop.

You should know that putting up hay and all.

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He said the Taliban — which managed to nearly eradicate Afghanistan's poppy crop in 2001, just before their ouster for giving refuge to Osama bin Laden — now profit from the trade.

In some instances, drug traffickers have provided vehicles and money to the Taliban to carry out terrorist attacks, he said. But added that the ties seem to be local and that there is no evidence of coordination between drug lords and the Taliban leadership.


http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060902/
ap_on_re_as/afghan_drugs

Who benefits?

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My bad.

I confused my monthly delivery of Omaha steaks with the delivery my monthly stash. It is really quite amazing. The Boosh people DHL me
delicious food on a regular basis.

All I do is use my cell phone and they can locate me to provide me with my monthly supplies in exchange for my video tapes.

Allah hu ackbar and so is your Mr. President!

5:28 PM  
Blogger FBI said...

"thinly veiled reminder of an ongoing grand jury "process" with a finite time limit?"

I'll sleep on that...

10:20 PM  
Blogger PrissyPatriot said...

That was good, Roger! So how did it get published with the Aug 30-Sept 5 2006 by "mistake", hmm indeed S-Q

8:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

worth one hundred listens to

10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home