Jan 18, 2007

Analyze This...

Libby Trial Day Two: About the Media

"I've always known our national reporters are hardworking, diligent people who do work we in the blogosphere don't uniformly do well, even as I've offered sometimes blistering criticism. In the blogosphere, we're not trained or supported with the resources necessary to do investigative reporting, and most of us do not conceive of ourselves as reporters. I consider myself more of an analyst and commentator than a reporter, though I have broken a wee story or two, nailing down quotes in interviews, in my time. But I'm not nearly as good at getting the hard quotes right in real time as are my colleagues in the media room at the courthouse. It's not my training, and anyway, I'm not by personality that diligent with detail. I'm not bad, I'm just not. . . anal, and I mean that as a compliment.

At the same time, there's a reason why this particular gate has been crashed. We who live, write and think outside the culture of governmental Washington, in which I include the national political press, have been immune to the particular groupthink that infects our governing class, a groupthink that not only led our media establishment to marginalize all dissent in the runup to the Iraq invasion, but which also prevented our national media from seeing the Libby/Plame story as it is for quite some time. In the persons of Bob Woodward and Judith Miller, both the Washington Post and the New York Times famously and publicly shamed themselves during the course of this story, and that shame will be revisited through sworn testimony before the trial is over." <more>

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

First comment!

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pach is doing a wonderful job of reporting the Jury selection! Also, this is a historic moment for bloggers to be able to have "one of their own" present at this very important trial ! :)

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Goot analysis...now then special prosecutor

de goot doctor has some special subjects to analyze weeth you later

11:04 AM  
Blogger airJackie said...

The days of getting news from a reporter is over. I don't blame New York Times as they let Judy Miller put lies in their paper as the public trusted that paper. Now it's proved they have liars as reporters and their losing money and trust. So they playing dumb and trying to distancing themselves from this case. It wont go away and NYTs will again be a loser.

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go em Fitz!


:)

3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home